Savoury Bread Pudding
More recipes using bread!
This recipe can use any leftovers from Sunday lunch, both the vegetables and the meat or you can use the ingredients cooked from fresh. You can always substitute quorn for the meat.
Serves 4 – 6
500g of stale bread (white works best)
2-3 onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
A few handfuls of leftover cooked vegetables and meat/quorn
A couple of handfuls of grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Cut the bread into 4 cm cubes. Toss with a little olive oil and toast for 10-20 minutes until completely dry, then cool. Keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, cook the onions slowly in a spoonful of olive oil until soft and golden. Chop the garlic and add to the onions, stirring to soften. Warm the stock to a simmer.
- Take a wide, shallow casserole dish and smear half the onions across the base, then layer half the bread on top followed by half the veg and meat/quorn mixture, and then half the cheese. Press down firmly. Repeat until you have used all the ingredients finishing with a layer of cheese.
- Pour the warm stock over the top till it reaches 1cm from the top of the casserole dish and then cover with a lid or foil.
- Bake for 40minutes, then uncover and bake for 15 minutes until the top is crusty and the filling bubbling. Cool for 10 minutes before eating.