MORE COURGETTE RECIPES AUGUST 2014
Baked courgette casserole – serves 4 – 6 people
Other vegetables can be used- sliced potatoes, aubergines, peppers.
1kg sliced courgettes
1 medium onion
400g tin tomatoes
6 tbsps olive oil
6 tbsps veg or chicken stock
1 teasp brown sugar
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 tbsps chopped parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsps of wholemeal breadcrumbs
8-12 pitted black olive
1. Place a layer of courgettes in the bottom of a greased casserole, followed by a layer of sliced onion, and then tomatoes (use fresh if you want to). Continue like this to use all the vegetables.
2. In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsps of the olive oil, the stock, sugar, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
Mix well and pour over the vegetables.
3. Scatter the breadcrumbs and the rest of the oil over the top.
4. Bake in a moderate oven at 180˚c for 1 hour.
5. Garnish with black olives and serve.
Courgette Tian Serves 6
This is a Provencal-style gratin of vegetables. It can be a light main course served with rice or couscous or a side dish served with chicken or other meat.
4 tbsps olive oil
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh basil or oregano, shredded
3 medium courgettes cut into 1.2cm slices
3 medium tomatoes
50g grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat 2 tbsps olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook stirring occasionally until golden, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
2. Oil he bottom and sides of a 23 x 31cm baking dish and spread the mixture evenly over it. Sprinkle with half the herbs. Over the herbs place alternating and slightly overlapping slices of courgette and tomato. Sprinkle with the remaining herbs and the 2 tbsps of olive oil.
3. Bake the tian in a preheated oven at 190˚c until juices are sizzling, about 40-45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving.